Monday, October 26, 2009

Write What You Know - Part 2

Today I received an unexpected piece of mail. Last year I contacted an organization that helps adoptees and biological families register with the appropriate agencies and assist in connecting separated families.

I signed up with the state registry and subsequently received an I.D. registry number earlier this year. Today I received non-identifying information from the state's department of health. I'm amazed at how much it's hit me that I can finally say that I know who I take after.

What a premise for a story! I've toyed with the idea of writing something like this, but wasn't trusting that feeling. However, the thoughts that ran through my mind as I read the paper were amazing in their clarity and power. Needless to say, I'm stunned.

I guess I'm going to take more time to let all this sink in and then feel out a story from it. Before I got married, I wrote a little book for a boy that a co-worker was adopting. I sure wish I'd copied and saved it, but I just made the one copy and bound it myself. It was good, made everyone cry! I'm not going to let my fears and not-so-low self-esteem stop me from trying again.

1 comment:

  1. What courage you have!
    I can't imagine finding the guts to attempt locating a birth family member. Good for you.
    It think it's a great possibility for a story.
    good luck
    kat

    ReplyDelete