Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Book Signing from Heaven

Good morning ladies and gentlemen. It's great we now have some male members (oops that didn't sound right) should be : men as members (still not good.) How about we have guys in the group? Yeah, that's the ticket.
I have to tell you about my weekend. On Sat I went to Sam's club (alone, never did that before)and bought a bunch of goodies. And Sunday my daughter Kelly and her boyfriend Kenny helped me set up a table in Izzy's Restaurant on Buffalo Road.
At 12:30 people started pouring in. And I do mean pouring in. I've done lots of signings but there were more folks at this one than all the others combined.
This was more than the book of my heart. It is the book of my life. All the years Bill and I shared. Good times and even the minor troubles (roof leaking, water heater dying and the garbage disposal refusing to dispose)were still fun because we lived through it together.
And, I learned a valuable lesson. How to publish yourself. Not as rough as I thought it would be. No walk in the park, but not agony. And the great part is the royalties are all mine. Granted it costs, but not the same as other presses. My royalties from my fiction books wouldn't buy a happy meal. I wouldn't advise self publishing a first book, but once you know the ropes, it's the way to go.
I also learned I have more than one type of writing in me. Thought I was just fantasy, but not so. Who knew?
LCRW is a significant part of this discovery. The group helps to spread your wings and to learn attempts are not failures, just steps to success.
If anyone has any questions please feel free to pose them. Sounds like you bend questions like pipe cleaners, but you know what I mean.

1 comment:

  1. You are so brave, Dee! What a great experience. Save a copy of your book for me.

    Sandy Istvan

    ReplyDelete