Saturday, October 23, 2010

What's in a domain?

Recently, a friend of mine has talked me into revamping my personal blog... actually moving to wordpress. Must say the difference is huge. However, the huge question is do I get a domain or not.
From LCRW meeting early this year, I learned the longer the web domain is up and live the better your stats are. But the question is do I go with my personal name, a platform name, or product type?

I'm still waiting to be published, so how important is setting up the domain website now? Any suggestions?

Lately, I've been reading writeitforward blog, and at times warrior writer blog (caution, Kristen Lamb's blog has good stuff but her posts are long winded.)  Both  have been talking about platform, product and promotion.

Can't wait for next months meeting with a local Social Media Guru, hopefully by then I'll have and idea where to go form here. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm looking for guidence. Happy typing.

2 comments:

  1. I am dealing with with exactly the same questions. I have been told to, at least, purchase the domain names you may be interested in. It would be a shame to get your big break and find out that someone selling used (but clean) toilets had the domain everyone was trying to find you with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use wordpress. My platform thus far has been about "how to write" and I also write about conferences I've been to, books I've read, and the occasional personal essay. (see www.klgore.com)

    You'll notice I use my writing pseudonym. I'm preparing for when I become a real live book-on-the-bookshelf author. My agent cautioned me not to put my own writing up on my blog (at least, nothing I wanted to get published at some point).

    Definitely set up your domain website now (as Steve suggested). My husband has purchased web domains for both my kids, even though they won't need the sites for years.

    I wonder about platform, product, and promotion, too. I know that if you have a huge web presence with a large following, you will find a publisher, no matter if you have talent or not. (That's what ghost writers are for, right?) You will also find a publisher if you have an extremely well-written story with a great concept, yet no platform. It just takes longer. :)

    You are a very talented writer, Deb. I imagine once you have your novel written it won't be long before you find a publisher. So get that domain name now!

    ReplyDelete