Tuesday, October 19, 2010

How do you promote Goodness?

I've been writing toward publication for some time now and have learned that sex and violence and mayhem all sell very well. I have several books published but would like to earn more than the price of a Happy Meal for my efforts. My books aren't about sex, violence, or mayhem of any kind. I promote helping others, the value of a work ethic, looking at the best of a person and tolerating others views. Trust me this does not sell well. And I fear that is what is wrong with the entire country. Violence is elevated to near worship. Why must even the simplest of things be about besting someone else? I fail to understand how someone's pain can better my life. And why does everything have to be a trial? If something bad happens and we all know it does, how about just trusting it will all work out in the end. Crying over spilt milk does not put it back in the bottle. Just go on from where you are and stop thinking that everything bad happens to you. Everyone has bad days and if we expect to have good times, we will. I am a firm believer in what you think about happens. Case in point? If you have a dog and think he will pee on the carpet, guess what he will. If you believe he will ask to go out he'll do that as well. Our minds are powerful things. You may not be able to control everything around you, but you can and should control the way you react to what is around you. I learned long ago that while competition may be good in some situations, that is not always the case. If it doesn't matter who gets the credit, the job is completed in a better fashion that if everyone is pulling against each other. So I ask again how do you promote goodness? How do I make someone want to read about evil being thwarted and goodness promoted? Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. I feel most readers prefer stories where good wins over evil. They like when the underdog wins. They enjoy happy endings. Presentation is key, of course. It has to be believable. The main character has to be likable (or at least have redeeming qualities). And the story needs to hold interest.

    At my writer's workshop, someone asked why there are so many published novels out there that aren't very good, and she gave an example of one. I said that writing is very objective. For example, one person might love chick-lit novels, while another might find them trite.

    So, basically I guess I'm saying that some people might prefer a book with violence and mayhem, while others won't touch it. Certainly there is shock value involved, and some people are excitement (and horror) junkies.

    I guess I say write how you want others to see the world, and you'll create an audience that agrees with you and will continue to read the books you write with situations and heroes/heroines they can admire and identify with.

    Good post, Dee.

    ReplyDelete