Thursday, October 21, 2010

Book Clubs

I want to post a little something on book clubs. My neighborhood recently started one, and I signed up in a jiffy. I read all the time. Why not have a lively discussion about books? I can pick other people's brains. See if they feel similar about the story. Maybe learn a new point of view I hadn't thought of before.

Another great thing...since every member gets to choose a book, I would be reading something I wouldn't normally pick up.

I quickly discovered that book clubs have their pros and cons. Sometimes the book club is more about socializing than about literature. And sometimes the book that is chosen is not my taste at all, and I struggle to chew and swallow it. But I am bonding with my neighbors, who seem to be very nice, intelligent women. And I am broadening my reading horizons, which will serve to make me a stronger creative writing teacher and a better writer.

I've wanted to join a book club for years now, and I'm thrilled to be a part of one now. We are in the infant stages, and I feel we don't have discussions on literature down to a science yet, but we are learning. So far the experience has been worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment