Friday, February 26, 2010

Why is Saying Goodbye So Hard?

This past week as been a roller coaster ride of emotions. The life of a wonderful young man ended tragically last Friday. By the grace of God, my son decided not to accompany this young man to ski practice and was not in the car at the time of the accident.

How do you deal with the grief that hides deep in his soul? I think we've found a way that suits him. I just need to sit back and keep my eyes and ears open. All these kids are lucky to have such a closeness among them. As long as they keep together and just be in the same room - it doesn't matter what they do, even if it's just watching television. The most important thing is they are together!

Kids today protect the privacy of their feelings in light of this psycho-analyzing culture we live in. It's hard to leave them to their feelings, but we must - especially with boys.

Everyone in my community was touched by this young man. His smile was infectious and his manners were impeccable. He had a heart bigger than anything you can imagine. My hope is that his legacy of caring and love will live on in his friends.

Today during his funeral, I looked out the windows of the church to see the snow falling in large fluffy flakes - not like the miserable freezing snow of earlier. I felt a smile blossom as I thought of this young man. It was his ideal winter weather and I knew he sent it to us as a reminder he was still with us. Again, tonight as I went to dinner, the sky was clear, the sunset was stunning and all I could think of was he was sending us this calming atmosphere to tell us he was watching over us.

You were my third 'son' Peter. I love you and miss you and I know you'll be Steve's guardian angel from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment