Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Things that make you go whew!

As usual every February, I have my thousand mile checkup. Physical, mamagram, bone density and blood tests. Today I had the mamagram. Took me in right away, the office was not crowded as it is on most occassions. The technician did the usual, left arm out of the gown, then the right. I don't know why they can't do away with the gown, it's a pain in the neck. Took several views, then went on to the bone density. As usual sit in the tiny dressing room that's freezing in the stupid gown while they review the film. I fail to undersand why some woman get up tight about the breast being compress for a few seconds. No big deal, but when they came back and said come with me please, I wondered. They put me in a room with two chairs, a room I'd never been in before ans I have been going to the same office for thirty years. The technician comes in a says the doctor wants some more views of the right breast. Okay, no big deal. Takes the pictures she needs and sends me back to the two chaired room. She comes in again and says got to have more pictures, the doctor doesn't like the looks of the ones already taken. Oookay, more pictures and back to two chairs. I really didn't like the idea of that room, so different. She comes in once again and says (guess what?) doctor wants to see more of the orginal positions. Take pictures again. And back to the ROOM.
Finally she comes in and says you can get dressed but don't leave. The doctor wants to talk to you. Yikes, now what? Well it seems the doctor wanted to thank me for my patience. There was nothing in the pictures to indicate any problem but it was not a pleasant experience.
And I thought as I drove away, many women are not to lucky. I am grateful my doctors have insisted on yearly mamagrams since I was forty. So if you are afraid of having a mamagram, set aside your fear and embarrasement and remember you do not want to die of embarrasemt.
Now I realize there are those who are reading this might not be female, but having health checkups regularly is for everyone. Now that we have delt with the serious I am extending an invitation for all to check out my new blog. It is about fighting off Father Time. www.theguileofthefoxlady.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment