Monday, February 15, 2010

It's The Little Things

So, I was scheduled to blog on Valentine's day, a fun day for a romance writer to be blogging, right? Only I wasn't writing, I was sick. Spare-you-the-details-flat-on-my-back-with-the-stomach-flu-sick. Happy Valentine's day to me. Any visions of romance for me were out of the mix. Or were they? No, there wasn't any chocolate or roses or romantic dinner. But my husband brought me hot compresses, jello and sno-cones when I felt up to it. He kept the kids quiet and the house under control. It was a day for the kind of love that comes after ten years of marriage. The kind that doesn't get the status of glitzy gifts and the romantic gestures you usually associate with Valentine's Day. And it occurred to me, (always the writer, even while in the throes of the flu) that these are the kind of details that can add depth to fiction. The way you know someone loves you when they press their wrist against your hot forehead, and pull the blankets up to your chin. Sometimes a scene like that can be much more telling than a dozen roses showing up at the door.

So while I was disappointed to lose a day to the flu, at least I got some writing material out of it. Don't be surprised if my next manuscript has a very detailed, yet romantic sick scene in it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment