Friday, August 6, 2010

Wow!

As I was struggling to figure out what to write about I received PW Daily. For all writers Publisher's Weekly Daily is a great way to stay in tune with not only the craft but the publishing world and it's free. Today's top latest news is Dorchester Drops Mass Market Publishing for e-Book/POD Model.

My first thought were OK, wow.  After reading the article I have mixed thoughts on the state of affairs affecting our publishers. I'm happy they are going to e-Books and POD model but what will happen to all the authors? Everything will change, royalty rates, advances...

As a reader, what will happen to my favorite author's books. I'm still in the analogue age, I don't process a e-Reader.  No Mass market publishing means no paperbacks for $7 or less instead the e-books will be in this price range. So the books will either be hardcover, e-Book or POD. Most POD range from $12 -$15 a pop. I guess it's time to get an e-reader.  Because I can't let go of Christine Feehan, Laurell K Hamilton, Lynsay Sands and many many other great authors. Some I do buy hardcover.

I'm excited at the way the publishing company is heading but at the same time, saddened at the lost of books to hold in my hand.  How does the announcement make you feel?

No comments:

Post a Comment