Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The end of books?

The ereaders, and the kindles, I've heard about these.
Today I read that the state of CA is considering doing away with textbooks.
Why make kids carry around all that heavy stuff, when digital is so much lighter? And cost efficient.

I don't know.

A book can't crash?

Yes, they get old, musty, and are vulnerable to water and fire...(so are the ereaders I'm sure) But it's a BOOK. A book could last hundreds of years...a lot longer than a battery.

Can you tell I have mixed feelings? Actually not mixed. I'm pretty much anti. I know some of you guys have them, and I probably will someday too.

But there's something magical about a book. The printed word.

If I get published, I'm afraid it won't feel real to me, if it's not something I can put on my shelf.
It makes me sad that kids may learn that books are expendable.

I can't imagine curling up on my couch, or in my bed, with a computer, it's not the same. The readers are smaller, but still...

I love collecting my fav. authors books and I'd like my books, hopefully someday, to be on a fan's shelf too.

What's your opinion?

1 comment:

  1. Books are such treasures, I would hate for them to disappear.

    ReplyDelete