Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Resolutions

We are getting close to the end of the year. The time when folks determine what they could do to improve themselves for the New Year. A fresh start. Some will give up smoking (good plan I did it 50 years ago) some will go on diet, (don't think I need one lost 15 lbs when Bill passed away) some will take on new endeavors (I'm scared, but feel I need to do this.) The fear isn't that I might fail, probably will many times over. What inhibits me is embarrassing Bill or my kids. I have always been a team player and hesitate to initiate action. I love to help but don't like doing things on my own. The only thing I've ever done without others is write. I love it, it is liberating and satisfying. The thing that bothers me about writing is the publicity. Without it your royalties wouldn't buy a happy meal. I know I need to do this and feel fairly certain that many writers would rather just write and let the publicity and promotion take care of itself. Of course that won't happen.
I've made some positive steps in this direction. It won't go into play until after the first of the year, but I've determined to use the services of a PR person, right here in Rochester. Now I would like to propose a package be put together for promotion that each published author could rely on. If anyone has tried and failed with a type of promotion, that has not worked should be put in the packet as well. As a group we should be committed to helping each other. I find most of the younger members are far more savy in this area. I don't know how to put together a face book page or how to use twitter. For that I would ask that any of the members who knows how to do these things create a step by step plan for doing this. It may seem simple to those of you who know how, but do remember brain surgery is easy if you know how. This package will take time to create and I would be happy to serve as a facilitator for this and create the package as long as someone will get the information to me. I will also add what not so brilliant moves I've made. The publishing world is packed with almost successful authors and I feel that it should be the duty of LCRW to provide every method to rise our authors to the top of the pile. We have some brilliant writers and some daring writers who enter the publishing world by writing other types of material such as magazines. Could one of you show me how you did this? This could be another method of publicity. I think pooling our resources would benefit each of us. I would like to understand the complexities of Internet promotion. There have been many books written on the subject and for the most part they are as puzzling as promotion itself. We need a plain and simple plan to get ahead of the pack. Simple as 123, abc. Please chime in and let me know if you feel that this is a good idea or if I'm all wet. Don't worry about telling me I am all wet, I have towels. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

3 comments:

  1. Amen Sister! Each of us has our own writing talents, but we do need to pull together, get the work published, and let the world know where to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. why don't we schedule a meeting around this, meaning, instead of scheduling an outside or inside speaker, focus the last half of the meeting on promotions. Everyone [or whomever wants] brings what works and what doesn't for them.
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's a great idea, Kat.

    ReplyDelete