Sunday, December 13, 2009

Lost

I usually don't just dip my toe in when I'm interested in something--I take a running start and do a cannonball. Which can explain why I watched 5 entire seasons of the show Lost in the past 3 weeks. (That's 103 episodes, each 43 minutes long. You do the embarassing math to determine how long I've been parked in my recliner the past month--and how little writing I've done as a result.)

Yeah, the show's that good. If you're not familiar with it, a plane crashes on a mysterious island and the survivors struggle to live with each other, with their pasts (told in flashbacks) and with ever changing threats. I'm pretty sure my jaw has dropped every single episode. (And someone has gotten punched every single episode, I've noticed.) The series premiered in 2004 (I'm late to the game) and the final season begins this February. I can't even wait.

Immersing myself in 5 seasons of this incredible, compelling drama has been quite the lesson in storytelling. It's been like an intense course in goal and conflict from the moment the show begins. It made me realize how weak my characters' goals and conflicts seem in comparison. Will the characters ever leave this island? That's the thought on your mind every episode. Was the goal in my last book that compelling? Nope. But I'm going to change that now, after watching back-to-back episodes of incredible storytelling.

What about the goals for your characters? Will your readers grip your book for the entire ride wondering if they reach them? Would your readers stay parked in their recliner to find out? Could you make their goals more compelling, more important? If you haven't read Donald Maass' wonderful book "Writing the Breakout Novel" check it out. He provides some great steps for raising the stakes in your book. I wonder of the writers of Lost read it.

Of course writing a novel is different from writing a long running TV series. But if you want to meet some great, real characters with incredible backstories and riveting conflicts and goals, check out this show. (And you don 't have to do it in 3 weeks either--but you might not be able to help yourself. The frist few seasons are free on Hulu and ABC.com)

Whoever thought watching TV could improve my writing?

(And if you are a Lost fan, get in touch. We need to discuss theories before the next season begins!)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Lisa. That was quite an ambitious undertaking! I've missed the last couple of seasons (on my DVR waiting for me), and I'm envious you were able to do that! And of course those writers started off not really know where the plot was headed...much like how some of us (including me!) write our novels. So I'm dying to see how they tie it all together.

    ReplyDelete