Sunday, November 22, 2009

Whine Country

So, if you attended this month's meeting you heard my tale of woe: contest results that weren't quite what I was looking for. (Didn't final, lots of conflicting comments for a book I thought was gooood.) Kinda knocked me on my creative butt and left me thinking, "Why do I keep doing this writing thing? It's like dating an abusive bully." I've written other books that have gotten close to being represented by an agent, but no cigar. At what point do I cry uncle and give up?

I know, I know--want some cheese with that whine, Lisa? Just about every writer has faced disappointment and rejection on the road to publication. But here's my concern--how many writers just keep on slogging down that long road without ever actually making it to publication? For every "JK Rowling was rejected by 892 publishers story" how many stories do we not hear about the writers who don't ever make it to publication?

Many writers will ask themselves this question when faced with my quandry: "Would you keep writing if you knew you wouldn't get published?" And lots of writers will say, yes, of course I would.

Well, guess what? I wouldn't. I write with the hope that someday, my book will delight someone. I want to write a book that someone closes with a sigh and thinks about for the rest of the week. A book that makes them think and feel. A book they tell a friend "they have to read!" So, if I knew my book was never going to be published for others to read, no I wouldn't write it. I'd channel my creative energy elsewhere.

(It's like the time I collected giant clamshells in Cape Cod, took them home, handpainted them, placed them on handcrafted easels, carted them to a craft show and sold not one. Not one!!!! "Crafts gone bad" we now jokingly call it 20 years later. However, after that experience, I decided painting seascapes on shells was a creative endeavour I no longer wanted to pursue, and I'm fine with that.)

Now, I'm not at that point yet with writing, but it certainly is easy for my enthusiasm to be derailed while traveling down the publication road. Luckily, I belong to a great writer's group ready to prop up a sagging spirit. (Thanks guys. Just one of the reasons writers need to be part of a supportive community like LCRW.)

What about you? Would you keep writing if you knew you'd never be published? At what point would you decide to call it quits?

2 comments:

  1. I would definitely keep writing. I'd love to get published and it's definitely a goal, but I just love to write. I'm happier when I write. I feel more vibrant...more me.

    But I reeeaaaallly want to get published too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I write because it's my "me" time. But I, too, want to be published.

    I've already dealt with literally hundreds of rejections in the past twenty years...I spell perseverance with a capital P. It's not an easy road to travel. I think we're all waiting for the journey to be worth it.

    ReplyDelete