Sunday, November 15, 2009

Show me the...

...query letter.

Okay, so you don't want to share your WIP. How about your query letters?
Do you have one you're particularly proud of, or a letter Agents read and then actually asked for more?

I'm still struggling. I've got about ten different versions and NONE of them work. I need the hook, but the hook is based on some back story. I just don't know how to start it.

Are you guys sick of me whining about this yet?

I am.

So...may I ask for one piece of advice from each of you, that led you to query letter success?
Please?

Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. I think the shorter the better. Here's the body of the Middle Grade novel that got many requests: (keep in mind it's a bit simpler in tone as it is for younger kids.)

    (dear agent....appropriate personalization....)Please consider my 43,000 word novel, School of Charm.

    No one in Brenda Anderson's family wants to move south to live with Grandma Cooper. She's so mean, she's never even called them or sent them one birthday present. But they have no choice after Brenda's father dies. So now twelve-year-old Brenda is living in a house full of beauty queens, and her tomboy ways are driving Grandma Cooper bonkers.

    Lost without her Daddy and hoping to fit in, she joins a charm school to train for the 1977 Junior Miss Dogwood Pageant; but the lessons she learns at the unusual school aren't the ones she expected. And neither are the secrets she discovers about her family.

    I think fans of Kate DiCamillo would enjoy this book; a story infused with just a dash of magic.


    --Lisa

    ReplyDelete