Monday, November 30, 2009

A Side Note

Today, working on my mss is the furthest thing from my mind. My mom is going in for a pacemaker insertion early in the morning. We had a scare the week before Thanksgiving when my dad called to say she was being admitted to the hospital. This was not the phone call we'd been expecting.

You see, my mom has always been the strong one, the one who held the family together. On the other hand, my dad has been steadily become more frail. He's unstable on his feet and smokes like a fiend. A life of bad habits has made him the most likely one to have health problems.

The doctors were going to insert the pacemaker a week ago Friday, but decided to send her home with a monitor for 24 hrs. They said the new medicine seemed to be doing its job. However, after I returned the monitor that Monday morning, they promptly called her within a few hours and asked her to come in the next morning. I went with her, per doctor's orders, and found out that even though the medicine was working, it couldn't do the job needed. So, a pacemaker was definitely in order.

Thank God, we managed to get through the holiday with no mishaps or emergencies. Now, I'm camped at my folks house getting ready to turn in for the night. Four a.m. comes mighty fast. Luckily, my kids are in their late teens and early twenties and can fend for themselves, with a little help from dad

I'd like to think some day when all the tension goes away and life gets back to normal, I'll be able to make a great story from this. I'm certainly taking notes on what goes on around me.

With luck, I'll be able to get some hours in on my mss later tomorrow. Kept my laptop at the folks overnight. I'll keep you posted on how things go.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck, hope your mom comes through with flying colors! My father in law and my hubby's aunt had one put in and they are both doing very well now!

    ReplyDelete