Saturday, November 28, 2009

Response to Whine Country

A few days ago Lisa asked group members if we would continue writing even though we would never be published AND at what point would we hang up our pen and paper.

February something, 1983. I received a How The Hell Are You? card from a friend from my Operating Room days. I sat down to tell her what was going on in my life and . . . 27 pages later [I had to filch loose leaf notebook paper from the kids to keep it going], I began to think maybe I had something going with this.

That response turned into a story which went untitled for about 20 years, plus it was the best thing I've ever written. It was finally published in 2007. It only took me 24 years to see it in print. I didn't have an easy time finding a publisher. And every contest or pitch session garnered mixed responses. "No one wants a story with a 47 year old heroine." "Forget the old lady, give me a story about her kids; make her a secondary character." "The external conflict is difficult to read about. Your characters are harsh and unlikeable; good nurses don't talk like that." "Great story; super dialogue, fabulous characterization. Good luck finding a publisher. They aren't going for old lady heroines these days."

The story went on to win the Golden Wings Award from Wings e-Press, later it won the Barclay Brooch.
Would I give up writing even though I knew I'd never be published? No.

When will I hang it up? When they close the lid on my casket.
Kat

2 comments:

  1. And who knows, maybe there's writing in the great beyond...any EVERYONE gets published!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story! Thanks for sharing. And I probably should clarify that I wouldn't stop writing altogether if I knew I wouldn't get a novel published. I would continue writing short stories, essays etc. But if I knew I would never get a novel published, I would stop writing novels, and focus on what works for me.

    ReplyDelete