Friday, May 28, 2010

Steve Walked Today

My son, Steve, had surgery on both his legs this past Tuesday. He's been getting up into a wheelchair since Weds. Today he was fitted with a walker. What that boy has been putting up with, I don't know where he finds the strength.

The morning session with the walker was a wash because it took too long to fit it properly. It should have been done before his feet hit the floor. He struggled through a lot of pain better than most people in his position would. Needless to say, he took a long nap after that.

This afternoon, he said his goal was to walk to the bathroom. He did it! It took forever, with me crying inside at his grunts and groans. Yet, when Steve is determined, he gets it done. I'm so proud of him and envy his conviction to see this through with as little complaint as possible since it was his decision to do the procedure.

He is an inspiration to his nursing staff, physical therapy staff and family of another patient having the same surgery. Thank you God for blessing me with a great kid.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy to hear that, Patti. Some kids are whiners, others are doers. I think we know which category Steve falls into.

    ReplyDelete