Saturday, May 1, 2010

Scenes that inspire you.

How many everyday scenes, or situations, have inspired your writing?

I can think of a few.

Once at work I saw a couple in the parking lot. Young, probably high school.
The boy had his hands on her waist, facing her, and she was talking. And it didn't look like a boy trying to touch a girl in whatever way he could. It looked like he cared about her. Was completely absorbed by her and what she had to say.

And it struck me. I wanted to write a book that starts with hero and heroine as young kids but with the instant 'attraction' or completeness. That was my inspiration for a book called 'Soulmates'.

I read an article about a cellphone bomb that didn't go off as it was supposed to and a soldier held it up to be photographed and on it - it said, One Missed Call.
That led me to a story called 'Forever Love'.

I heard a song on the radio (country music always inspires me). The song is called in Telluride (I think) but before I knew that, I thought the guys was singing, Until your eyes. Wow, I was so inspired to write about a guy who was haunted about something in his past, barely living until he meets the woman, and in her eyes, he sees his salvation. (Very vague at this point) I did write the beginning of a book about a troubled bartender but I don't know if it's the one.

In my past I've had experiences with overly religious almost cult-like people which have inspired a lot of writing, some of it not fit for anyone else's eyes, but I've used some of it in Soulmates.
My experiences have made me extremely sensitive about extremists, especially when it comes to religion (doesn't it always?) and women being treated poorly, whether in relationships or religion.
That inspired me to write a novel called Worlds Apart. I wrote that one for the Write a Novel in a weekend contest. It's a parallel story about a girl here in America who finds out she's pregnant (at 16) and a woman in Afghanistan same age, but married and just had her third child.

So, everyday life can inspire you. Just keep watching. :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Those stories all sound so interesting, Christine. I hope you're doing something with them and not letting them just gather dust.

    ReplyDelete