Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Never Thought I'd Be Doing This

In 4 short days, I'll be on my way to Philadelphia with my 17 yr old son, Steve. My husband, Joe, will be coming along later in his own vehicle. Steve is scheduled for surgery Tuesday in Wilmington, DE which is only 45 minutes from Philly.

The past two weeks have been crammed with getting people lined up for an emergency call list (I'm leaving my 23 yr old son, his 22 yr old girlfriend [and only driver] with my 17 yr old daughter). The kids will be on their own, but will feel more relaxed if they know there are responsible, older adults available if needed.

Next, it's been a mad week of laundry, cleaning and major scrubbing of bathrooms. The house will look like it hasn't for over a decade. Wow, I can't believe it took my husband and I to leave for 6 weeks to get the house in order. I even got the over fixed, it's been broken for a year. Now Mike and Leann will be able to cook with a full working range.

Normally, if something this monumental was going to take place, I'd be a crazy wreck. I'd be stuffing my face with chocolate and bags of chips. Thank God I don't do that anymore. Now, my head is clear and I can calmly plan and execute actions that will be successful. I can plan what I need to bring for an extended stay in a Ronald McDonald House (never been to one before) and pack accordingly.

Steve and I have gotten much of the cleaning and straightening up done. Now we have the basics left to do - vacuum and dust and washing bed linens. Hopefully we'll get some help from Sandy. It would help her to feel useful in this tense time.

Luckily, times are so advanced I'll have all my tools with me to continue writing, as well as bringing things to read when I can't be at the laptop. I'm confident I'll be able to be productive when there's downtime available.

Lastly, I want to thank all my friends for all their support and encouragement. I'm counting on you to answer my phone calls and send emails. You all are important to me and I value your friendship. I love you all.

I'm signed up to blog again next Thursday. Don't worry, I'll do it, with good news I hope. Until then, good night.

4 comments:

  1. What does Steve's surgery entail?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My prayers will be with you, Patti.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Donna. Christine, they'll break his legs above the knee and put external fixators on them. We have to turn certain screws a quarter turn every 6 hours to keep them straight as they heal. He has pronounced knock-knees which are a factor in his LP condition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so feel for you and your family, Patti. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete