Sunday, September 20, 2009

What's in a Name?

Ever have a great story all mapped out in your head, just to have your fingers freeze over the keyboard because you can’t come up with a name for your characters?
Names make our characters stand out from the crowd. Typically, I like strong sounding names for my heroines. Kate, Kelly, Caroline with the hard consonants, seems to give them an edge.
Wanting to give my latest heroine some vulnerability was a bit challenging. I want my heroine to be able to brush away a tear at a sad movie, but still be able to flip off the jerk who cut her off on the expressway. I want her to have imperfect teeth, but a perfect smile. And of course, she must possess a resilient heart so she survives pain before the inevitable happy ending.
I named her Jolene.

1 comment: