Thursday, September 17, 2009

Little Progress on My WIP....

I think I’m suffering from computer anxiety. Sitting at the keyboard, checking email and surfing cool websites, can be a whole lot of fun. But at the end of the day I’m still stuck on page eighty-two of my work in progress. Hmmm….no surprise, right? Lately, as I flip from one industry site to another my brain starts free falling. How can I push my writing up a notch so that I can scale that next hurdle? What’s the secret because a whole slew of authors are making it happen? That’s the point where my fingers stop flying over the keyboard. My WIP stares back at me. The pressure to write something ‘good’ renders me incapable of writing anything at all. Warped? Absolutely. Common? Probably.

I doubt that there is a simple cure for this disease. Tomorrow I’m going to avoid interacting with my Dell. Maybe a little distance will bring about a reconciliation. My brain and my fingers might learn to work together again. If that fails me, I have a backup plan. The new fall schedule for television kicks in next week. I’m not a huge addict but sometimes a few episodes of NCIS or Castle (premiered last year on ABC) helps me nail down conflict and tension building.

What helps you when your writing hits a lull?

7 comments:

  1. I try to have an outline, and I force myself to write the next point.

    If no outline, write a scene from anywhere in the book.
    OR
    Write a scene from another book that's been in the back of your mind.
    OR
    Edit what you have, maybe it will spark something.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Free writing to get the creative juices going, anything, even if it's ten words on the page about how you don't want to write those ten words. There was a time, I would reward myself with a piece of chocolate if I finished so many words, 1000, I think. Well, I had to stop that because now I am tring to lose the weight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG -- love your suggestions, ladies. I've never tried to write a scene from another part of the book. I always go in order.

    Maybe the chocolate thing would work,too. Perhaps I wouldn't feel guilty about scarfing down Snickers bars if I felt I labored for them :-). Have a great Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, chocolate is ALWAYs a good thing....:)
    Eat it first and then after. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just bought HUGE Hershey bars to make smores for the boys tonight....I'm going to go out on a limb and say I'll be scarfing one day as soon as they fall asleep :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you've got the right idea watching Castle. Isn't he a hunk? The dialogue is crisp and clean and lotsa fun!
    seriously, good luck with your dilemma
    kat

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've found what works for me is throwing something crazy or interesting into my story. In one novel I tossed in escaped cows. In another I threw in a seance. Doing something unexpected helps me stay interested as well as gives me a new problem the character has to deal with. Sometimes I end up getting rid of the scene, but at least it keeps me going. I can't outline. I've tried and failed miserably. I also can't discuss my story with anyone before it's been completely written. Otherwise all the fun is gone for me. :)

    ReplyDelete