Friday, September 25, 2009

Reading

I have found myself reading more these days, to keep up with my involvmetn in various activities. This isn't necessariliy a bad thing, the problem I have found is some of my favorite authors have let me down as a writer and as a reader. Mostly those who have written series. As a writer I understand the enormous responsibility writing takes, and the adventures that an imagination creates, but one would think even with a series that new branches and adventures can still happen.
I was so excited to finally read that latest in the series several times this summer and fall only to find myself thinking... I wouldn't do that, where is the conflict, all i see is repetitive scenes and dialogue. So my question is where is the freshness to the books? Do these authors get locked into a time frame with logistics and forget about the excitement of the new work?
It is my hope one day to be published, and if I go down the series avenue, I hope my closest to me will raise their hand and say go outside the box, I've read this same concept three books ago, branch out. Because the last thing I would want is avid readers never picking up the book because the arc now appears to be... nonexistent. Or the secondary or lesser characters have more life than that of the main characters. Can you tell I have been highly disappointed? I guess you can say I didn't get my aahhhaa moment in three book series that I have read in the last two months and now I'm complaining. Sorry for the ranting.

1 comment:

  1. reading a series is a bit like that party you have long looked forward to only to be disappointed when it actually happens. Personally i have always believed that the unexpected tends to give you much much more

    ReplyDelete