Friday, July 10, 2009

Writing is my high...

I realized something tonight. Writing is my high.

I went to the creative writing group at Barnes and Nobles. As usual it was a great learning experience and great fun.

When I got home, my hubby and I talked and I realized that writing, and discussing writing had me all jacked up. I felt happy and animated and energized.

What a great way to get high!

Writing makes me happy. It's what I need to do and always have, since I was a kid.

Writing makes me feel alive because I'm truly doing what I was meant to do.

It's better than a high, better than any anti-depressant. Being true to myself brings me pleasure. Go figure.

I am thankful for my gift, and I am thankful to have realized my purpose in life. (Besides family of course.)

Life is short. Each day is precious. Each day is a gift. Each minute is a gift. Take what gifts you have and use them. Do what makes you happy.

(Unless of course murder is what makes you happy - reconsider - and then get therapy. Lots of therapy.)

But seriously, each human being is unique.

What is your gift? What brings you joy? I suggest you find out and start devoting time to it. Your authentic self will thank you.

2 comments:

  1. That is exactly right! For me it's like an addiction. While we're in the mountains we have only my laptop, which means I have to share with my husband, the world's most avid Zuma player. All the time he's honing his skill I'm 'champing at the bit' to get back to my love story. Luckily Bob retires early; then I write until the wee hours. When I'm not writing I'm thinking of my characters -- what traumatic situation will they face next? Will he ever let her know he's besotted with her? Will she actually belive that? It's like playing God. It is a high!

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me a while to realize how much happiness writing brings to me. For a long time I never even considered writing a book --- it seemed too big, too difficult, too confusing. Now I realize writing has a calming effect....it sorts out my confused brain!

    Another great post, Christine!

    ReplyDelete