Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Rumors

I heard a rumor a while back that disturbed me. Someone told me that big authors like Nora Roberts don't have to write anymore. They simply come up with an outline for a story and someone else writes it.

I guess I don't believe that rumor. I can't think of anything worse than having someone else write my story idea. After writing hundreds of books I think I'd still feel the same way.

If it was true, why be a writer?

Writers that are disciplined and write two or three books a year, or more, have always impressed and inspired me.

So I don't believe it. These men and women are dedicated, disciplined, and have mastered their craft.

4 comments:

  1. Don't know about Nora Roberts, but yes, it's true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think some very successful writers hire on ghost writers who help them push out stories quickly. I highly doubt Nora Roberts falls into that category. Her work has a distinctive voice and I'm not sure her pride would allow her to put her name on something she didn't actually write.

    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe it, that still makes me sad...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at V.C. Andrews. She died, but in order to continue making money off her name, the publishing house has ghost writers produce crap she'd be ashamed to have written.

    Several popular authors do this. Why? Rita is probably right. To churn out novels quickly. I can only assume big name writers who do this also want to spend more time relaxing on their yachts than editing and revising a manuscript.

    I'm against it, myself. It lets their true fans down.

    ReplyDelete