Thursday, July 2, 2009

Comparing is bad...

I read a manuscript that is very bad, and I think, I can write much better than that, I have a chance to get published.

I read a manuscript or a published book that is very good, and I think, OH GOD, I have so far to go and I write like a kindergartner compared to so and so.

Man oh man, is it a good idea to compare? I don't think so. Instead I shall strive to see things in other's writing that I can do or not do. Emulate the parts I like and check my work to avoid what I don't.

Sometimes I wish I could read my work with fresh eyes, have temporary amnesia, so I could read like a reader.

Maybe that's why people always say to put it on a shelf for a couple of weeks. Maybe I'll try it.:)

3 comments:

  1. You are so right! Comparing is bad, but for me it helps to absorb the tone (flavor?) of other authors' stories. I use Nora to help me get my dialog between characters into shape. She does such a good job with that. Not that I'll EVER reach her skill level, but at least I've got something to strive for.

    I bet your style is better than a lot of the authors you're looking at. I can tell by your breezy comments on the blog.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Christine, you so hit the nail on the head. Of course, literature is very subjective. For example, Sandy, I find Nora Roberts a bore (collective gasp!). I've read several of her novels and have found some of the writing to be well done, but the plots are too predictable for me. One person's cup of tea is another person's dirty sock water. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Christine! I think we all read some novels published by respected NY houses and scratch our heads in amazement. Taste is so subjective -- a quick look at Amazon reviews is a good reminder that reader expectations differ greatly.

    Putting work aside for several weeks is a great way to gain perspective.

    Rita

    ReplyDelete