Tuesday, August 4, 2009

A Love Song?

I love songwriters. Their three minutes of lyrics convey volumes of emotion and passion. This past week, I was thrilled to see one of the greatest singer/songwriter, Jackson Browne, live in concert.
Here’re a few lines from ‘Here Come Those Tears Again’ written by Jackson Browne and Nancy Farnsworth.

“Some other time baby
When I'm strong and feeling fine maybe
When I can look at you without crying
You might look like a friend of mine
But I don't know if I can
Open up enough to let you in
Here come those tears
Here come those tears again
Just walk away
I'm going back inside and turning out those light
And I'll be in the dark but you'll be out of sight”

Like all good writing, it makes you think. Who was this person? What had she done to cause so much hurt?
Nancy Farnsworth was Jackson Browne’s mother-in-law. She wrote those lyrics when her daughter, Jackson’s wife committed suicide.
Yes, it is a love song.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! They say pain inspires creativity. I can't help but think most people would rather never be creative than have to deal with loss, if there was a choice.

    ReplyDelete