Saturday, August 15, 2009

LCRW Founder Carol Backus

Good morning, blog friends of LCRW.

I’m Kathryn Shay and I’m posting today as a “renewed” member of LCRW. I was in the original group of Rochester writers formed in 1993 by Carol Backus, also known as Suzanne Barclay. She wrote medieval romances and was not only a wonderful writer, but a terrific friend. She died ten years ago this September, after a long battle with cancer, fought bravely like the best of her heroines would have done.

I learned a lot from Carol, who became one of my best friends, but also someone I admired greatly as a writer. I thought I’d list these lessons for you so, on this almost ten year anniversary, you might learn something from her, too.

  1. Always be professional in the writing world. Carol handled everything, from bad reviews to stalemates in her career with aplomb. Often when I’d moan over a negative response to my work, she’d calmly tell me that not everyone was going to like my books.

  1. Make sure your work is the best it can be. She was meticulous in revising and editing her work, and often mine, citing errors in POV, character development and structure. I’ve always said that it’s because of Carol’s help that I got published (35 books ago). At first, I tried to tell her, “That’s not what I meant. I meant this…” She’d listen calmly and then say, “But the reader isn’t going to be in your living room for you to explain that to her.”

  1. To piggy back on that, always help others in the field. Carol spent countless hours with me and with my work, and I asked her once what I could do to pay her back. She smiled and said, “Help someone else once you get published.” I never forgot that and whenever I give a talk for free, explain why a manuscript isn’t working, or encourage new writer, I tell people they have Carol Backus to thank.

  1. Never be jealous of other writers’ success. Carol was a master at this, and it came from an inner self-contentment and knowing who you are and how good you are. When I sold my first book, she was elated. When I won a very big award for it, she rejoiced. Not once did she ever see anyone else’s success diminish her. I loved this about her, and finally, after a lot of years in the business, I feel as she did.

  1. Be nice. Everybody loved Carol. At conferences, everybody KNEW Carol. She introduced me to scores of people, set up a meeting once for me with her agent and made sure she complimented my work when editors were around. I loved Carol, too.

  1. Don’t take your job too seriously. This is a lesson I have yet to learn, but I’m better about it. Carol saw writing and her success in it as just part of her life. She was happily married and had grandchildren she loved and spent time with. She was always dragging me away from the computer for lunch together or dinner and trips with our husbands. I do more of this now, but Carol would tell me I don’t do enough.

Finally, I’d like to tell everyone I have a new book out from Superromance, BACK TO LUKE, in bookstores now. Carol would want me to do this because, though she didn’t obsess about the business, she did indeed promote herself. The story is about Luke Corelli and Jayne Logan, former lovers who meet again after twelve years. Jayne, an architect, has made a costly mistake in a building she designed and Luke has come home after a life changing experience in New York. The book is about trust and forgiveness. To find out more about it, check out my four blog posts on the setting, character and themes of the book at www.kathrynshay.com.

Most of all, remember Carol’s story. It will only make you a better writer and a happier person.

Kathy Shay

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute to your friend and a great set of guidelines for those of us just starting out! I attended my second conference this past spring up in New England and I was completely taken aback by how kind, generous and supportive everyone was. Like Carol, I think many authors that have earned great success are eager to help others achieve their goals.

    BACK TO LUKE sounds like a great read --- I'm off to check your website now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol sounds like the kind of friend we'd all be lucky to have. And the advice you gave was spot on. Sometimes people who make it big forget they were once in a beginner's shoes.

    Thanks, Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely tribute to Carol.
    thanks, Kath
    Kat Doran

    ReplyDelete