Friday, August 21, 2009

How old do you have to be to be a geezer?

At 30 I'm not really very old, at least that's what I'm trying to convince myself of. I have roommates that are several years younger, I have no kids, nor do I want any, I can dance til 2 in the morning and pull all nighters and out drink you and your friends. yet I'm discovering I'm a bit of a geezer when it comes to technology. My friends harass me about joining Twitter, like I care about what Lindsey Lohan did on Friday night, they harass me about getting a Facebook account. hell my mother has a Facebook account so really how cool and hip can it be anymore? Why do I want to do virtual shots with someone when I can meet them at the bar and do real shots? I had already broken down and joined MySpace 2 years ago for the networking and reuniting aspects of it, but all MySpace is anymore is a "hook-up" website. If I really want to talk to you then your number is in my cell phone, which is actually more computer than phone what with Word and Excel and PowerPoint on my actual phone, so maybe I'm not all geezer. But I still write with a blue gel pen in a pretty notebook before it ends up on my hard drive. I read my books in paperback, not on some plasma screen... I save the plasma screen for my 42 in flat panel TV. There's something nostalgic about the musty smell of a well-loved book that I've read at least 5 times, about the smell of ink as it dries on paper, of crossing out words and seeing evidence of errors instead of hitting the backspace button, of having ink stains on your fingers. Call me old fashioned, but technology despite all its wonderful and amazing conveniences, seems to take some of the romanticism from life. If you take that paperback to the beach for some sun, you know it won't be defective tomorrow from sand. I'm a big fan of Bill Mahar, Jon Stewart, Lewis Black and George Carlin. and maybe that's why I get a little crazy thinking about all this technology, that we care what someone Twitters and somehow think that the government is trying to kill grandma for having "the sugar". Maybe that next paperback we pick up should be a text book and we should freely take up our first amendment right with a quill pen and hemp paper and have thoughts in our heads worth voicing. that we would sign our name to without shame. Is 30 too young to be a geezer? And maybe the biggest clue to myself that I a m a geezer is that I really don't care how that question is answered as long as I keep my paperbacks and notebooks.
By
Konnie Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment