Monday, May 4, 2009

Where It All Began

Where it all began . . .
Thirty-some odd years before I put pen to paper, there was Chuck and Hilda,
As a young cosmetology student, I was required to engage the client in conversation. After an awkward attempt at the weather, I turned her attention to the window. Two brown sparrows were hopping about on the second story ledge overlooking Main Street, Bradford, PA.
"That's Chuck and Hilda. They've moved up from Florida and are setting up housekeeping."
In the mirror eyes rolled as I wrapped hair around plastic curlers, but nonetheless, I continued. "Chuck stayed out late last night. Listen to Hilda squawk at him."
Thirty minutes later, returning from the hair dryer, my client asked, "So where was Chuck last night?"
"At that new bird feeder," I told her. "A lot of red-breasted robins hang out there," I lowered my voice. "If you know what I mean."
The chronicles of Chuck and Hilda continued. Like any couple, they had their ups and downs. They raised their babies and moved back south. My clients would come weekly to have their hair styled and to hear the latest saga of Chuck and Hilda. Just tales of normal life, but it made the ladies forget their own troubles for a little while.
Thirty-some years later, I'm writing stories about life and love. Who knew?

1 comment: