Tuesday, May 19, 2009

BOOK IDEAS FOR FATHER'S DAY!

I haven't always been a reader. Haven't always been a writer. Actually, back in high school, I dreaded opening up a book. I am dyslexic and reading wasn't high on my list of things to do. I had no problem standing in front of the class and talking, though. My favorite class back then was Public Speaking. I rarely wrote a speech, but talked from the hip, something I thought I was pretty good at. Still am. Well, at least with a subject matter I am comfortable with. Anyway, I had to take an English Elective and I choose Media Studies. It was my senior year and it was 1984. Yes, now you all can do the math and figure out how old I will be. Anyway, we had read the book 1984 by George Orwell. I was bummed. I thought we'd be talking about television, my favorite past-time, at the time anyway. But that wasn't the case.

I opened the book and it took me all night to get through the first chapter, and to understand it. I found myself with a bigger problem. I loved the concept of the book. The whole idea of Big Brother intrigued me. And the fact that it was 1984, well, that just put the icing on the cake for me. I was a huge Star Trek fan, so anything that described what future life might be like I enjoyed, well, on television that is. I didn't read. But I had to read that book.

This was one of the few classes I actually went to on a regular basis and paid attention to. I loved listening to the talks about the book because it helped me understand the damn thing. I didn't say much though, kind of unusual for me. I just listened. It was the first step in becoming a reader.

Long story short, after HS I found out I was dyslexic, learned to overcome it, and started reading everything in sight. I kid you not. I didn't care about genre, I just started reading. And reading. And reading. And I never stopped. I still read at least one to two books a week. Right now I'm reading DOWN RIVER by John Hart. I'm about halfway through and I really like it. Guess that's my first book recommendation.

So, I generally give books for gifts. My step-father always enjoys the books I give him (he reads more than I do!) especially the ones I get signed for him from some of his favorite authors. And since he's in the middle of a move right now, I don't think he'll be reading this blog post, so I can tell you the book I'm getting him for father's day. It comes out June 2, 2009, so there is plenty of time to purchase said book.

The title is WHO DARES WINS: The Green Beret Way to Conquer Fear and Succeed by Bob Mayer. It is a non-fiction book and I know my step-father will really enjoy it. He likes books like that. Granted, I haven't read since it's not out yet, however, I have taken writing workshops from the author and heard him talk about this concept, and well, am buying one for myself as well.

If the man in your life is a golfer, such as mine, I have two recommendations for you. The first is THE PRO: Lessons About Golf and Life from my Father, Claude Harmon, Sr. by Claude "Butch" Harmon, Jr. This is a book near and dear to my heart as Craig Harmon (Butch's brother) is the golf pro at Oak Hill Country Club in my hometown. The second golf book is DAVE PELZ'S PUTTING BIBLE. I recommend this book because it is one of the few book my husband has read cover to cover. A book a putting? Go figure.

It's always hard for me to recommend fiction in general. If someone asks me for a good book in a specific genre, or by a specific author, well, it's a little easier then. It depends on what you are looking for. I like books of all kinds, I don't discriminate. Well, I didn't read the putting book, but my husband liked it.

If the man in your life enjoys a good mystery, then I'd go with GREASING THE PINATA by Tim Maleeny.

If the man in your life enjoys something a bit more on the dark side, I'd go with CALLING MR. LONELY HEARTS by Laura Benedict. Excellent book.

A political thriller? Well, then I'd go with LOST GIRLS, by Robert Doherty. Excellent book.

Another thriller I enjoyed was THE FOOTPRINTS OF GOD, by Greg Iles.

A paranormal is needed? I just finished DEATH DEALER by Heather Graham. Very interesting indeed.

Something very twisted? Well, WHEN SHE WAS BAD, by Jonathan Nasaw.

So, there you have it, my book recommendations. Happy reading.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Jen! I may check out those golf books for my dad! :)

    ReplyDelete