Wednesday, May 6, 2009

What book is on your nightstand?

This has been a roller coaster of a month, at first I had a vision malfunction then as the vision slowly returned I had a problem ...I couldn't read print. E-print worked well for me and I enjoyed it, but it wasn't like having a book in my hands. As most of you know at the LCRW meetings there is a basket raffle, which includes a gorgeous basket with goodies and most important books. Proud to say I won this month's basket and how happy I am with the books.
During the workshop Kat talked about Characters and she used JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood Series as an example, and to my great surprise, Dark Lover, the first of the series was in the basket. Also, Rita, a member pointed out it was an awlsome book. Well, I'm sure you see the way this is going, of course that was the first book I read.

Then the inner book whore erupted from me, and between the library and Borders, I have read six out of the seven in the series. The reading frenzy only completely consumed me, up til 1:00 in the morning until I had to force myself to put the book down. My husband nightly saying for the last week as been, "That can't be another one." I plan on getting the Lover Avenged, the newest release for my nightstand, if it makes it there for longer than a night, then I will be happily sedated.

The series is well written, it's a whole new world that makes you want to know more. JR Ward does a wonderful job with the male voice, and her scenes are hot, steamy and fierce. Not only did the book captivated me, but it opened up a whole new aspect to my thought processes on Characterization and Plot. I found myself having AH HA moments. Realizing mistakes I have made in my own work and Ideas of new work to be done. I am a firm believer that reading only makes you a stronger writer, so now with my vision back and my thoughts surging. I must ask each of you... What's on your nightstand? Is it gripping, motivating, relaxing or just bring out your inner book whore?

5 comments:

  1. Angela's Ashes is on my nightstand. It's the memoir of Frank McCourt. Depressing as all get-out, but I'm getting a better understanding of my Irish ancestry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This week I've been re-reading a few Christine Feehan books. The latest, Dark Secret. Good book. The hero is a 1500 yr old, Carpathian male. Dominant, aggressive, and intense and of course, an amazing lover. It's a good story, different than her others. I never know whether to love or hate the hero.
    But I finished that, and now I am reading Breaking the Barriers by...ME.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read depressing books before, and in the end it always gave me more to think about than I anticipated.

    Love, Love Christine Feehan and her Carpathian males.
    Of course, Breaking the Barriers is a good story too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb--
    I'm glad you liked JR Ward's book. She "does men" very well I think.
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Everyone--

    Just got in from work. Sorry this is late---plus, almost forgot. All I have to say is hope all is well with everyone. Stop into my blog "Dwellings"--(link on my website). I have reviews & interviews of multi-published authors, my personal correspondence with them on Mentoring--what it is, and isn't. And some great advice from Randy Ingermanson who has his own blog for writers. Besides being in the publishing business, he too is multi-published and writes for Writer's Digest. Leave a comment after May 8th, and your name will be put in a drawing for book give-aways. Add your name as a follower, and you'll have an opportunity to win one of the top books written for characterization: "Creating Characters" by Dwight Swain. Enjoy the spring! www.patiacuzzi.com

    ReplyDelete