Monday, September 6, 2010

To Dream Or Not? Is It Worth It?

As you can tell by the title of this post, I'm enduring some frustration. My pride and joy is writing, whether it be blogging, creating business documents or working on my manuscript.

But what do you do when someone close to you believes what you do is trash? Not 'trashy' but absolute garbage. In their eyes, the only publications of worth are NON-fiction. How do you get past the resentment, the pain and discouragement?

I've talked with a few friends today about this matter. In answer to their advice, one thing I'm going to do is commit to journaling every night. Once I make a commitment, I'm bound and determined to keep it, so this is a good task.

Second, now that school is starting and my days start just as early as everyone else in the house, I will devote my mornings to writing my manuscript. This way, it won't take time away from the family.

Of course, I could take advantage of the fact the someone close to me is going away on a business trip tomorrow until late Friday. However, to be fair, I'm going to try and plan my writing for the long term - which means the mornings after the others go off to school and work will be best for my creativity.

Then during the lunch hours I'll be back at my paid job of hostessing. Once I arrive home, I can devote my time to doing the household chores and family time.

I have to admit, I never learned to manage three kids at once, plus my husband. I do best when it's one-on-one. One is off at college (my most time-consuming child because he was so active in school), the other is still away with his girl-friend's family in Colorado. He is coming home at the end of the month. I have missed him every day, as he is my best friend. My third child is entering eleventh grade, yet is not so active in school. When she comes home at the end of the day, she likes to relax and unwind. This year, however, I'm going to enlist her in the planning and executing dinners in preparation for some day living on her own. (Should have done this with the oldest too, LOL)

Enough of my ranting. The moral to this blog? If you have a dream, you'll find a way to make it come true. Is it worth it? Without a doubt. What's life without dreams to propel us forward?

1 comment:

  1. Two of my closest friends only read NON-fiction. It is sad, but I no longer offer my manuscripts to them for input. (Or anything, for that matter.)

    I would like to "brag" a little about something I have written that I like, and has been well received by other. But to them, it is fiction, therefore ca-ca.

    ReplyDelete