Thursday, July 1, 2010

Home Sweet Home

Those words never meant more to me than they do now. I've been away from home almost as long as I was two years ago, but it will be even longer when we head off to a conference. What does this mean to me?

All those little things I was able to do without preparation are a luxury right now. Everything I do has to be scheduled around strut turns, medication times and mobility availability. Taking everyday life for granted is no more. The care and attention my son, Stephen, needs is more important than anything frivolous, unnecessary trip or errand I want to take.

That's right. I said 'want.' All those little trips to Walmart, Goodwill or the mall were essentially frivolous. There was nothing I really needed, or wanted even, to necessitate the frequent trips. They were all reasons to get out of the house.

I've been 'out-of-the-house' for over a month and will be out for another ten days or so. Yes, we do come home today, but only for 24-36 hours. Then it's load up the car for four people to stay in a hotel for ten days, travel for fourteen days. There's no room in the van now for two of us, with the wheelchair and all the paraphernalia we've accumulated to care for Stephen in the last month.

I miss my meetings, my friends, even work. I miss work because it gave me a place to be without family, yet still be out in the world for a more constructive purpose. This summer will be less enjoyable without being able to do all this, unless I learn to accept my life as it is now and embrace all the quality moments with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment