Friday, April 16, 2010

Living in the Moment by Kathryn Shay

I recently read Eckhart Tolle’s book, A NEW EARTH. In it, he discusses why people tend to think about the past and worry about the future. He’s very concrete about why we do this, and also about how to live in the present. It’s a cliché, really, telling ourselves to appreciate the here and now. But I believe it’s the key to happiness. I liked the last part of the book best because the author does give good suggestions on how to be in the moment. We should approach everything we do by 1) if we don’t like what we’re doing/have to do, to accept it and just do it because it’s a necessity of life. If we can’t abide by that then we should get out of the situation. My first thought was he never changed a messy diaper, but then again I guess accepting that distasteful task is part of being a mom or dad. Or 2) we should enjoy the moment, stay in it, and appreciate it. I think staying in the moment is the key. How many lunches have you eaten and not really been there with the food because you were thinking about the next thing on your agenda? And finally 3) to do what you’re doing with enthusiasm, which usually means you like what you’re doing and you do it to reach a goal. I think this is where writing comes in. An author can be really enthusiastic while writing and want to finish the book, not to get on to the next thing, but to send the manuscript out so people can read it. Tolle calls it enjoyment with a goal.


It’s always been amazing to me that many writers talk about how hard the act of writing is for them, using the words excruciating, mind-bending, depleting. They say they sit at the computer from 8 to 5 and don’t enjoy it. I wonder why they do it. Yes, I know people have to make a living and take jobs that aren’t fulfilling so they can earn needed money. Though teaching was a vocation for me, and I took great pleasure in working with the kids until the day I retired, I knew teachers who hated the profession and were miserable. I felt bad for them, as I do others who are stuck in jobs they abhor. But it’s mindboggling to me why anyone would choose to be a writer if it was so difficult for them. I guess I’m lucky in that I’ve had two careers, both of which I’ve loved.

On a related note, I have a little Yorkshire terrier named Hattie. Every morning when one of us goes down to get her out of her crate, she runs outside to do her business then rushes back inside and bolts up the steps. She catapults into the master bedroom and hurls herself onto the bed to greet whoever didn't get up with her. She licks and nuzzles as if we've been gone for weeks, not overnight. It’s a joy to watch, and a joy to have her in our lives.

My husband remarked later in the day that he wished he was more like Hattie. He wished he'd bound out of bed ready to start each day with that kind of enthusiasm. He wished he greeted his loved ones as if he hadn't seen them in a long time, even if it had only been eight hours since he was last with them. He wished, basically, that he saw the day as something bright and shiny each time he opened his eyes.

Hmm, who knew Eckhart Tolle and my little Yorkie had so much in common?

Written by Kathryn Shay

No comments:

Post a Comment