Wednesday, January 6, 2010

It's Personal

So, I got good news today that the book featuring two of my essays will be published February 1st, 2010. The Ultimate Bird Lover is published by the folks who put out the Chicken Soup for the Soul books. (I wrote a humorous piece about the ducks that invaded my koi pond--and wouldn't leave, and a more reflective piece on stopping to watch the birds at our feeder after losing my job last year.)

I love writing personal essays and I've had a few published over the years. I find writing essays so much easier than writing fiction. It's so much simpler for me to reflect on a situation, remember the sights, smells and sounds, and finally extract some meaning from the event. With fiction--gah! You've got to make it all up. Maybe working in the news business for almost 20 years makes it more difficult for me to just "come up with a story." I've always dealt in facts, and that's the way it is with essays.

But even if fiction comes freely to you, why not try a personal essay? They're typically short (500-1500 words.) It can be a nice break from your novel writing, and you just might find yourself with a slot in a book, a check in the email, and the Batavia Daily News on the phone wanting to do an interview. Yep, I made the paper, baby.

For personal essay markets check out: ultimatehcibooks.com, acupofcomfort.com and chickensoup.com. They have ongoing submission needs. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment