Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Closer Look

So, I'm getting ready to enter my ms. in our contest, and I thought it was about time to drag out those comments and scores I got a few months ago when I entered two other contests. I was really down at the time; I had been certain I would at least final, but I didn't. And some of the scores weren't great. a 107 out of 150? Ouch. Really, that bad? I shoved it all away in a drawer and haven't look at my ms. since. I know, I know--kind of stupid. But it really shook my confidence.

So I got out the score sheets the other day and took a deep breath. It was time to take another look at what the judges said so I could work their criticism into my ms. for our contest. And guess what? They had some really great things to say. Things I hadn't noticed before, when I was so focused on the final score. Things like:

"Author, practice your autograph!" (she gave me a 148 out of 150, my one bright spot.)

"I absolutely love your voice and absolutely think this ms. has great potential." (a 108 out of 150.)

"Well done! You had me hooked from the get-go"

And from the most critical judge: "on the plus side, you really do have a lot of talent and a great ability at storytelling. A little more effort, and you shouldn't have any problem attracting an editor or an agent."

How had I missed all that? I walked away from the contest thinking I was a failure because I didn't win and didn't even come close. As I looked over their comments for the second time, most seemed to think my heroine needed a stronger motivation. After reading their comments, I agreed, and came up with something different and better.

So, as we get ready to send in our contest entries, remember that the greatest prize might not be getting 1st, 2nd or 3rd place. And if you're getting ready to judge, remember how invaluable an encouraging comment can be (even three months later.)

2 comments:

  1. Lisa, I can't agree with you more. It's been at least a decade since I've entered any contests, but I remember feeling the same way. Thanks for the reminder that most judges have constructive things to say and for us not to focus on the scores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree as well. I will try to concentrate on what I say and how I say it, because my comment may sound different or read different to someone else, than how it does in my head.

    Entering a contest makes me feel so vulnerable. As soon as I realize I didn't win, or read the comments I don't necessarily want to read, I sort of shove it all away and put it from my mind. It never happened!

    Lisa, maybe next time you can remember this experience and give yourself a week or two after the initial feelings/reactions and go back to it with a clearer mind.
    Good luck with the contest!

    ReplyDelete