Thursday, January 7, 2010

Improving the LCRW experience

At this time of year most folks take stock and see what areas in their life they can improve and make resolutions to do just that. I think LCRW has come a long way from where it was when I left. It is now a vital organization, but I think it could be even better. Scuttlebutt has it some folks, me included, wishing the critique portion of meetings could be reinstated. Some years ago (I don't remember exactly when) folks who arrived early could read a few pages and the group would offer helpful suggestions. At the last meeting one member was having a down experience with one of her manuscripts. The group was able to offer her some insight and it is my belief that the main reason for the group is for members to aid one another with writing issues.
Critiques are the most concrete method of improving ones work. I have a critique partner who is very good , but I think she humors me because I am published. Being published does not mean you can be a island that is always right. You need contact with other writers.
I have tried to hold monthly meetings at my house for critique but, find they are under attended. This time of year the weather is not always nice and my driveway is a very steep hill. So since most of us come to the meetings why not set aside a portion of the meeting for critiques?
Looking forward to seeing all of you at the next meeting and I hope you all had wonderful holidays and have the finest New Year. It doesn't seem possible it is 2010 already. Yesterday was the first day of spring wasn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment