Monday, November 8, 2010

Meeting Challenges

It’s hard to really keep to a writing schedule when life gets in the way. I went away to a conference over the weekend (not a writing one) and found too many distractions. However, I did find time to get caught up until I came home. The hardest part is making up time lost because of driving long distances. Those hours in the car were precious writing hours I lost.

Have I gotten back on track with my writing now that I’m home? No. I can’t seem to find my feet. The words I’m putting in this blog are in the hopes to get that spark back, to find my rhythm.

The best thing to come from participating in the NaNoWriMo is the new direction my third book is taking. It’s not a complete new direction, just a slight sway. I do like it though. Now I’m beginning to understand what other writers talk about. How their stories speak to them, keep them awake at night.

Even the title has changed. It’s something I have to accept. My books are not always going to come out the way I expect them to. They’ll be what they want to be, what they tell me they will be. How did I really think I was the one writing them? That’s a laugh.

On the drive home, my book wanted me to keep writing. It kept playing scenes in my head. Hopefully I’ll be able to get them down on the computer later tonight, after dinner. My competitive streak is itching to get up-to-date on my challenge if not further ahead to give me some wiggle room.

No comments:

Post a Comment