Thursday, June 10, 2010

For the last six months I have been taking a Creative Writing course at Monroe Community College. I have been reading non-fiction, literary short stories and poetry. On my own I read The Help by Kathryn Stockett – a wonderful summer read – and a book a friend recommended. (Twice I tried to finish it. Twice I failed. She is still a friend, but is no longer allowed to make recommendations to my reading list.)

There were numerous handouts and assignments in the assigned text – Metro, Journey’s In Writing Creativity. The point is, I had not been the Captain of my reading list in a very long time.

A couple weeks ago, with ten poems ready for submission, I picked up The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.

What I found shocking was the physical reaction I had within the first ten pages.

I can only describe it as how I felt on a Thanksgiving leave from the Navy. I was sitting in the living room, my dad in “his” chair, my nephew playing with Match Box cars on the floor. Mom was in the kitchen whipping up a feast and the smells where overwhelming me.

The feeling of being home is a physical thing as well as emotional. Fantasy is my home.




Let's start a collection of "You could be a writer if."

You may respond to this blog and I will collect them and send them out. (Credited or non- you're option.)

To get things started, I have included one of my "IFs"

You could be a writer if:

• When stopped at a traffic check-point, rather than ask what is going on, you ask for the back-story.

1 comment:

  1. I could be a writer when/if:
    I pick up a book to read for pleasure and find myself rearranging sentences/paragraphs to tighten the flow.
    when I delete speech tags because they aren't necessary
    kat doran

    ReplyDelete