Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Whine Country--the rest of the story

Some of you know I provide child care to a few of my grandchildren three days a week. The perks are many, like watching the three year-old's face after she woke yesterday morning and discovered snow on the ground. That was really special, considering things went downhill from there--but that's a nightmare story for another time.

Another of the perks is being able to read [for free] issues of Entertainment Weekly. Not that I always agree with the articles or reviews, but I never know when I might find a jewel in the rough. And Stephen King's essays are always a hoot.

The November 6, 2009 issue featured a small piece about author Kathryn Stockett whose debut novel "The Help" [a February 2009 release] has close to 800,000 copies in print and ". . .its steady word-of-mouth sales have kept it on the NYT's best-seller list longer than any other hardcover novel this year . . ."

The point: nearly 60 agents turned down Ms. Stockett's book before publisher Amy Einhorn paicked it up in 2007. "Those rejections lit a fire under my rear end," says Stockett. "I would say I've got to make it better."

Enough said, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment