Sunday, August 15, 2010

Idle Thoughts

Ignorance is bliss. Starting with a cliche is not what I had in mind when I signed up to do a blog. I tried to find a better start but couldn’t find anything better to describe my mood. The last six months I have read six or seven books on writing, the English language and struggled through critiques’ by teachers and rejection comments by editors. I want to be a writer and wanted to know how to become a good one.
Before all of this I would think about writing something for several days while walking or laying in bed at night and start to write. Once the character or characters became a picture in my head the thoughts of the previous days would start to fall in place and I would write faster as I lived the story in my head.
The last six weeks I have written only one new short story and wasn’t too happy with that. Before I didn’t know that the first sentence should be strong and grab the reader or that there needs to be a beginning, middle and end. All of the don’ts keep jumping out at me, don’t tell, don’t use cliches…
I have edited and used some of my older work and submitted and even had a story accepted by an e-publisher. The problem is I have lost the excitement of creating something that is new. I am working on a true story that needs to be finished by the end of the month. I write ten or fifteen minutes and put it aside.
Compounding this is the fact that this is a busy month family wise and commitment wise. There are too many legitimate excuses that I can use to put off writing. I seem to jump from one thing to another, not finishing one but feeling compelled to try something else and doing this over and over.
I would like to find that old freedom, to find the pictures in my head and try to turn the pictures into words that let others see pictures.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree. My process to the same cliche took a year or so, to your months, but with the same process of elimation. Just now I'm getting back the live story in my head of the characters. Sometimes you have to let go of the 'correct' way of writing craft to do a little story telling. The craft will come into play only when you edit. Some people edit while they write. I think for you as it is with me, we need to tell the story as we see it then edit it as we know it should be.
    I hope you can get back to the innocense of story telling, because it seems you have the writing craft in the bag.

    ReplyDelete