Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Book I Could Not Put Down

I don't recall the last time I could not put down a book, a time when I looked forward to going to bed because I knew I'd be able to read more of this recently released jewel by Eileen Dreyer: "Never A Gentleman", part II of her Drake's Rakes series.

I like to learn new things as I read a captivating story. Check. Eileen is a fiend for research.
I like to laugh, chuckle, howl with glee. Triple check. Eileen is always good for a gut-buster.
I especially like a hero with warts. Check. I got so mad at this jerk some times, I considered throwing the book against the wall. Then I remembered who we're talking about here: the Queen of Happy Endings when you never EVER think it will happen.

If I had any criticism it is that the heroine, a six foot tall redhead who limped due to a congenital birth defect, forgave the hero too quickly. Personally, I would have kicked him [using my good foot for better delivery of excruciating pain] to the curb . . . then forgave him. Maybe.

I love history but one era I never took an interest in was the Regency Period, Wellington defeating Napoleon at Waterloo and all that stuff. Great stuff here. If it's all part of Eileen's very fertile imagination, it kept this girl glued to the pages.

Glued, not stuck.
Super Max Glu, not that crappy white paste from kindergarten.
If you get a chance, pick this one up.
It's a honey.
Peace
Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment