Monday, December 13, 2010

Resources

What kind of resources are helpful to a fledgling author and how do you find them? I've stumbled upon some really great resources at the bookstore by accident. They are "Forensics, A Guide for Writers," and "Police Procedure and Investigation." My brother, the lawyer, almost salivated when he saw the title of the latter book and he works with corporate litigation.

Another book I've collected is "From First Draft, A Writer's Guide to Cohesive Story Building." I do have to admit I haven't used this book. It seemed too much work to me. Guess I'm learning there's more to writing than just putting pen to paper or fingers to keyboard.

I had two unexpected discoveries as I cleared out more clutter from my sunroom. The first was a book entitled, "RWA Online Presents 12 Steps to Publication." This book was a timely find as I needed to learn about writing a synopsis. There was a chapter on just that. The second discovery was a six-audio tape series, "Writing and Selling Your Novel, A Live Workshop with Jack M. Bickham." Imagine my dismay to find the first tape is missing from the set. Bummer.

So, armed with all these resources what do I do? Place them on my bookshelf until needed or start studying? Originally, I just put them away on the bookshelf. With the submission of a manuscript to publishers, I think I'd better make time to study some of these books along with time to continue writing.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Patti.

    I have about fifty + resources on writing. Some wonderful, some eh-eh. When I feel like I need some inspiration or guidance, I grab a bunch and read until my brain feels like it'll explode. I retain about 10% of what I read. :)

    Anyhow, what I've more or less learned over the years from all these books is that a lot of the advice is based on common sense. Don't you agree? The trouble is, we're so worried about doing things right and perfect, we tend to override that gut feeling.

    Certainly these resources have impacted my writing a great deal, and the knowledge I've gained has been immense. I haven't thrown away my money (except, perhaps, on those eh-eh books), but I do think when we're "learning" we sometimes forget to be ourselves as we write.

    Still, I'm addicted/committed to learning the hard, fast rules of literature. But I try to put my story first, the writing second. Otherwise my prose sounds like a sick man who's been taking too much Robitussin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kim. A lot of writing is indeed common sense, but there are two caveats here.

    First, all too many writers ignore the rules of grammar as if they don't apply to them. I've heard the excuse over and over that learning proper grammar is too much trouble and that it's the job of editors to correct the grammar. Well, guess what? With more people self-publishing, they're eliminating that editor, and those writers attempting to sell their work are going to look very stupid. Granted, not all readers are grammar Nazis, but even the most casual reader can spot mistakes. Nothing screams amateur more than bad grammar, poor punctuation, and poorly constructed sentences.

    Second, too many beginning writers commit the error of believing that all published works must be well written because they're published. As a result, they may copy bad writing habits, not knowing they're bad ones.

    So, while I applaud using books on writing, don't ignore the ones on grammar and punctuation. Also, make sure you KNOW which books are good and which are eh eh. Don't assume all published books on writing are good ones to follow. Do your research and also let your common sense lead you.

    --Rick Taubold

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh, Rick, there's the rub. How do you KNOW which books are the good ones, and which the eh eh? (It's time to copy write your "eh eh", Kim.)

    My number one method is recommendations: of writers I respect, and advancing writers who can identify the books that helped them the most.

    If I have read a book I found particularly helpful, I will look for other books by that author.

    Lastly, I go to Amazon.com, click on the book, then scroll down to the recommendation portion of the page. (Some caution must be used here. It seems that the authors, themselves, have been known to post a positive review. Shocking!)

    That said, being able to recognize the eh eh book for what it is, is itself an indications you are improving as a writer.

    ReplyDelete