Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I Don't Write Paranormal...Right?

So I'm sitting at the computer, editing my next novel (even though I haven't even sold the last two I worked on for what seemed like endless hours, weeks, years) and I just don't want to continue working on it.

It's not that the story is dull, lacks plot and conflict, or has banal characters. Nope. If that were the case, it would be a simple chuck everything and begin anew. Instead the problem is I started a novel a year (two years?) ago, and I can't get it out of my head.

Anyone else have this problem?

I reread it (I'd stopped writing it at page 56 last fall) and I'm still very drawn to it. I want to know what will happen next. I want to make it bigger, better. The problem? It's a paranormal.

I don't write paranormal.

At least, I don't usually write paranormal. It's sneaked up on me in the past...when I was fifteen I wrote an entire novel based on the Salem witch trials. I still have it. And I've written bits and pieces of stories with a supernatural element over the years since. But I've never much enjoyed reading paranormal because it seemed too farfetched to me. Ghosts? C'mon. Vampires? Puh-lease. Wolves that walk and talk, stalking and yet falling in love with their prey? Ridiculous. Nonsense, all of it.

And yet I'm curious about this story that keeps cranking the gears in my head. I suppose if I keep returning to a story I didn't think I was serious about writing, I should reconsider its place on my mental priority list. Maybe oil up those gears and keep going. I am, after all, the CEO of my company. I can do what I want within the limits of my capabilities.

Today I will work on the paranormal. Today I will enjoy myself and fall into the story and see where it takes me. Tomorrow I may discover I'm not cut out for the paranormal and maybe then I can pick up on the edits of the story I'd been working on for hours, weeks, years.

Or maybe this CEO will move this unfinished story up on the priority list so I can see how it ends. I don't write paranormal, so it should be interesting.

1 comment: